Friday, September 25, 2009

ups and downs

I'm getting used to baked beans for breakfast. They're pretty good with toast. 
O Registration Day! I forgot what a pain in the #$#% registration day was. The line went up four flights of stairs. Wow. 
Now that I've got an address (!!!) it's a race to get ready by move-in on Sunday. I had to find sheets and towels for the room - and discovered Primark. If Wal-Mart and Target had a baby, it would be Primark. Shopping here was not for the faint of heart or tired of feet. I was so wiped out that when I got home I fell on the bed and passed out for an hour. 
All the great ideas I had about the public transportation system in London were dashed today by delays, hot, crowded buses and tubes, and 50 billion stairs.
It was an up-and-down day, frustration and quiet, exhaustion and furious activity. Thank God for tea. 

Another summer day
Has come and gone away
In Paris and Rome
But I wanna go home
May be surrounded by
A million people I
Still feel all alone

As I walked through the tube station this song was echoing down the halls. The street musician's electric guitar reverberated down to my shoes. His voice hung in my head all the way home.

1 comment: