Tuesday, September 29, 2009

fish 'n chips!

Sunday.....MOVING DAY! The tube line that goes to my residence hall was 'under maintenance' this weekend, making the journey extra intriguing. Dragging one's worldly possesions around London isn't anyone's idea of a good time. Moving generally sucks. But it sucks much less with a fellow adventurer. Traveling through London means getting on intimate terms with its network of buses, subways (tubes) and cabs - and now that I live on the other side of the River Thames, I'll get to know the ferry system too. After cramming all my heavy bags into the room, Stuart and I played tourists. Initial impressions of our exploits:
- The Changing of the guards at the Buckingham Palace - over five billion people stretching their cameras over their heads to record the spectacle, we caught a glimpse of maybe a guard's fuzzy hat. But it was worth it. Especially when - and I kid you not - the royal band started playing a Ricky Martin song.
- Fish 'n Chips - every bit as lovely as advertised.
- Shopping - nerd shopping, that is. Picadilly Circus has a 2-story Apple store! I thought I'd never get Stuart out of there.
- Took in a show - a muscial, in fact. About New York City and zen. It had muppets.
- Strolled about a park - St. James's Park. Even the ducks look different in London! Black ducks with little white faces. The trees are changing colors here, which made me happy.
- Had tea with a sort of pastry. Not sure if it was a crumpet or not. Some French custard thingy.
It was hard to see Stuart off today. I'm a little more homesick than I thought. Thank God for planes, and trains, and Skype.
Tomorrow I fight the masses to stake my claim on classes. And student discounts cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment