Friday, November 13, 2009

oxford!

Last Sunday I joined some fellow adventurers from my residence hall on a day trip to Oxford. What a photogenic day - graceful trees littered with golden leaves, stately buildings glowing with the little bit of sun that shone that day - and 13 frozen students huddled on the top of a (roofless) tour bus snapping a zillion pictures.

As you can see from the photo, they gave us headphones so we could hear the tour guide describing all the historical sites, but I wasn't paying attention and just took a bunch of pictures.

Which means now I have loads of pictures of buildings that mean nothing to me. But they're pretty!



What impressed me most about Oxford were the vast opportunities to nerd-out.
For instance, we ate lunch at this tiny pub called The Eagle and Child , which was where Tolkien and C.S. Lewis hung out together. I could really imagine a hobbit living in that pub. The ceiling was all cadywompus - it would slope at different levels, and was drafty and cozy at the same time. They had a lot of meat pies. A LOT OF MEAT PIES.



Oh, and then there was Hogwart's, AKA Christ Church . As I stood before the church, I could imagine all of my Harry Potter friends squealing in nerdtastic glee. The inside was incredible - it had the very cafeteria area featured in the movie. Or so I'm told. I was too cheap to pay the £3.50 entrance fee.

Are you obsessed with The Lord of the Rings and/or Harry Potter? Did you like Alice in Wonderland? Come to Oxford and give the nerd in you a holiday to remember.

2 comments:

  1. I award you 200 tourist skill points. This brings you up to a total of 150 skill points. Glad you are no longer in the red from you're touristic failure at the changing of the Queens guard.

    miss you!
    Kitty Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you finding all the HP filming sites? 'cause you know I wanna go see 'em when I get there!
    As to the squealing in nerdtastic glee . . . I did that in my head when I saw your pics/blog . . . I definitely wanna go to King's Cross Station and take pics of the barrier between platforms 9 & 10!!!!!

    And I make landfall March 20th.

    ReplyDelete